Automotive Personal Injury Questions

What should I do if I am involved in an auto accident?

The actions you take immediately following a motor vehicle accident can make it easier or harder to bring a successful claim for financial recovery in the future. One of the most important things you can do, after taking care of your immediate medical needs, is to speak with a New Hampshire personal injury attorney to be sure you understand your rights.

If you are unable to immediately meet with an attorney, it is important that you do not admit any fault or sign anything (i.e., forms from an insurer) in order to preserve your rights. If possible, take photos of any injuries and/or damage to your vehicle. Keep copies of any medical records or bills and make records of any related expenses.

What should I do at the scene of an accident?

Take photos of everything at the scene: the vehicles, the road conditions, and the surrounding area. Even cell phone pictures can prove helpful.

Look for witnesses to the accident and get their names and telephone numbers if they are willing to provide them.

Do not talk about fault. You can express concern for the well-being of others, but do not apologize. Until an investigation has been completed, you may not know who was liable.

What should I do soon after the accident?

Call your insurance company and report the accident.

Write down notes about what happened while the incident is still fresh in your mind.

Arrange for storage of the damaged car, truck or motorcycle. An investigator will likely want to examine it, ideally before any repair work is done or it goes to a junkyard.

Do not provide any statements or sign any authorizations for the defendant's insurance company.

Do I need to worry about the details and complicated insurance forms?

When you hire a lawyer, the attorney and his or her staff will handle most of the details regarding your case, including filing claims, investigating the accident and negotiating with the insurance company. This frees you to focus on your physical recovery. You can help your lawyer handle your case by: gathering all bills related to your medical care or the accident; keeping a detailed list of all medical problems so that you can discuss them with your doctor; and do not give any recorded or written statements to the insurance company without speaking to your attorney first.

Contact Attorney Tom Colantuono and the NH injury staff at the Granite State Injury Help Center by calling us toll-free at 877-890-0888 or by using our contact form. We have the experience and resources to fully investigate your case.

For more information, visit our NH practice area-specific pages for car accidents and accidents/injuries caused by automobile defects.